Tuesday 12 February 2013

PR Queen is back in business



19:00pm: managed to get ourselves invited for dinner at the Golf Hotel. As we pull up, Mother spots an entire football team heading inside, leaps out of the car and hurries up behind them; “Darling, darling! We’re going to dine with top footballers, darling!!” Awkward encounters have not yet ceased in Spain. Mother waltzes into a huge, lavish banquet room (I nervously trail behind) and we are immediately greeted by the manager (relationship has moved quickly from formal handshakes to friendly air-kisses).

19:30pm: enjoying a lovely meal, I leave Mother for two seconds to order herself a drink and upon my return I discover that our poor waiter, Antonio, is on the brink of resigning. Oh dear, I catch Mother ordering a ‘red white’; “a tinto blanco por favor!” Brilliant.

20:30pm: retire to the lounge for coffee. Mother literally forces me to have alcohol, footballers swan about while mother telepathically flirts and Gustavo (manager) is looking on with amusement.

20:32pm: Gustavo then joins us just as Mother’s night owl persona peaks. Typical business-talk caused me to tune out (and excuse myself for two minutes) but to my surprise when I return the conversation has completely changed to personal life; “you work all the time! Do you not want to get home to your wife? Or girlfriend? Or children? Do you have children?”
Awkward.
“Oh yes, no I don’t have wife or girlfriend. I work all time. I have two girls though! Yes they are wonderful, I have two daughters. You are married? Your ring… you have husband, no?” Awkward.
“OH! *laughter* no, no, no, the ring? Ahh, I am only married sometimes, hahahaha!” His facial expression clearly showed that he had no idea this was British humour.


More exciting ventures to come

Charlotte-Elizabeth xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment