Monday 11 February 2013

Do as I say, not as I do




A trip to a ghastly town encouraged by Mother’s need for specific beauty supplies. The Saturday market was buzzing… with illegal street merchants. “You know you can never, ever buy anything from these, don’t you? If the police see you you’ll be thrown right into jail! It’s completely illegal you know!” Believe it or not, I can survive without Louis Vuitton knock-offs. Many poor dealers were abused with a loud “NO! GRACIAS! NO!” as we roamed through the market until suddenly mother spots a man selling rather nice handbags at the very end. Her eyes dart towards a certain bag and the African gentleman shouts “Good price! For you, good price! Come on, señora!  It’s real crocodile!” I avoided eye contact and hastily strode ahead, thinking mother was following, however as I turned around I see her in a full blown conversation with him. Not wanting to get lost in a foreign country, I reluctantly walked back to her and mouthed “what are you doing?!” … “LOOK! Isn’t that a lovely bag! Do you like it?” Turning back to bag-man, mother compliments him on his English and begins a lengthy conversation about how he learnt the language and what other languages he knows and where he went to school and where he’s from and what he does and who his friends are and what brought him to Spain. Conversation turns back to the bag she has her eye on; “un momento, por favor…” bag-man says as he ducks under the table. All of a sudden he reappears with a canvas bag and pulls out a large piece of real snake skin. Lovely, a dead animal thrusted into my sight with no warning. “All of these bags is made from this, you see? Is real! Feel it, feel it!” Brilliant, I was stuck in bargaining-hell.

Managed to telepathically persuade mother to not purchase anything from an illegal street vendor and we retired for a coffee. Within five minutes we’d had two homeless men approach us. Two minutes later another man miraculously emerges between us and shoves a handful of gold chains in our faces. Mother says this is normal in these parts; “It’s like this in Paris, darling! It’s sort of… cultural!” Well, I don’t like Paris much either, actually. Apparently I am typically British when it comes to personal space and pests. I absolutely cannot stand anything like that. Frustration and discomfort brewing inside me as mother embraced it with polite declines. How can you relax while you’re constantly harassed by strange men trying to sell you illegal goods?! No chance to de-fume from the previous seller and we were loudly serenaded by a Mexican man with an out-of-tune guitar. Minimal eye-contact on my part (mother bopped along encouragingly). Horrendous noise faded as he moved along to the next unsuspecting couple.

Nearly had a dinner guest as mother publicly drooled over a man selling (illegal) watches; “but his smile, darling!”

 My patience was draining as we became victims of yet another illegal merchant. This one decided minimal interaction was the best form of persuasive-selling. DVD’s this time. Mother, however, decided communication was key; “Wait. What ones do you have? Let me see? What movies have you got here?” … “is good, is good” Shuffling through the pirate copies (none of which I recognised), asking my opinion – knowing I didn’t want to be involved in this illegal encounter – and eventually picks out an awful  rom-com. “If it doesn’t work I’ll be wanting a refund you know! Is it any good?” … “is good, is good. Good quality” … “hmmm. I hope you’re right. I’ll be bringing it back if it doesn’t work!” So, despite enduring an entire morning’s worth of lectures on not to buy anything from such street sellers, Mother actually purchases said tacky DVD. I am still confused as to why she felt the need to buy an illegal movie that neither of us had heard of; “Well I couldn’t just back out could I?! I didn’t want to let the poor man down.”


Charlotte-Elizabeth xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment