Thursday 21 August 2014

Stupidity at breakfast.

Not even Mother's stupidity. Odd.

So, keeping on the healthy-eating wagon, I choose a good, wholesome selection of fruit and muesli from the breakfast buffet. Of course, I preceded this with bacon, scramble, croissants etc, not wanting to be wasteful (logical explanation).

On my little adventure I notice that noodles are provided (presumably due to the influx of Asian travelers at this hotel) for breakfast. What's that there by the noodles? Aha! Maple syrup! Perfect. I proceed to dress my fruit in such deliciously-sweet goodness and head back to the table.

After my first mouthful I feel a little... 
"Mummy, I think the fruit here in Barcelona is very different to back home. It tastes a bit funny"
After two more bites I am quite sure something isn't right. 
Salty.

Oh. My. God. I have put soy sauce all over my fruit and cereal. Wonderful. Upon the discovery I am partially sick and partially very disappointed in my idiocy. The question of 'why would they put maple syrup by noodles' clearly didn't come into play beforehand. 

I'd like to say everything went as it should the following morning. Sadly not.

Not wanting to make the same mistake again, I locate the real maple syrup. Labelled 'maple syrup'. Good sign. Right by the cereal and pastries. Next to the honey. Even better sign. With absolute confidence, I pour a healthy (unhealthy perhaps) amount onto my breakfast again. 

Being extremely hungry, I do not hesitate in taking a very large bite. No inhibitions. I know what to expect. 
Wrong
This time there has apparently been some ridiculous mix-up in the kitchens and have switched the soy sauce and maple syrup around. I am very nearly sick and fully suspicious of foul play by the devil. 

 
It may be a while before I eat soy sauce again. Or maple syrup. Or fruit. Or breakfast.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment