Wednesday 23 January 2013

Monday 21st - Mother ventures out alone




15:00pm: managed to visit three supermarkets in one go. Never contemplated such an adventure in the UK – that’s literally hell on earth. Mother found a ‘Deluxe’ range and lingered there for quite some time… “OH MY GOD, fois gras darling!”

18:00pm: went back to our favourite boulevard and I left mother in Alcampo to get three items. Three.  I found a lovely spot by the water fountains to make a phonecall and people-watch. For nearly an hour. Yes, it took the experienced-grocery-shopper nearly an hour to find bread, pate and juice. She finally came bounding along with a shopping bag and a grin to tell me how she met a lovely Cuban woman who told her all about the Cuban war and Obama.

19:30pm: home and unpacking the three items (extended to about ten as mother’s adventurous side kicked in apparently – we now have a very obscure package containing what can only be described as miniature eels). I pull out a huge carton of juice; “Oh, that’s brave of you!” Mother whips round with a confused expression that quickly transforms into a look of sheer terror as her eyes fall upon the juice I’m holding, “What?! It’s orange juice, isn’t it?! Please don’t tell me that’s not orange juice!” Oh dear. I shouldn’t have left her to shop alone. Perhaps it’s too early? Have I thrown her in at the deep end? Surely orange juice isn’t too difficult? I suppose this carton did have a picture of an orange on it. Along with a large bunch of carrots and a couple of mangos. “Ah, yes, you haven’t quite nailed this one… you’ve picked up orange, mango and carrot juice.” Devastation hits and a loud, frustrated squeal is puffed out. “NO!! I DON’T WANT CARROTS IN MY JUICE!!! I JUST WANT ORANGE JUICE!” The full-blown tantrum was interrupted by my laughter as I inspected the juice further. The label reads ‘orange, mango and carrot juice’. Large, completely legible… and in English.



I shall be sure to assist mother in the grocery shopping for the next few months.

Adios,
Charlotte-Elizabeth xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment