Friday 9 October 2015

In which Mother gets a mild intervention at breakfast



Mother and I also had each others company during breakfast every morning. We usually join the 'middle class' (Mother's description, not mine) downstairs in the main restaurant for breakfast. However, on our final morning, we went upstairs to the Executive Lounge to eat. To be honest, I did actually notice the better quality of the food (it's delicious everywhere... but if I were perpetually picky, you know). I also noticed the bottle of champagne and rapidly  realised that this was, of course, the main reason we were here.

Immediately, Mother heads for the champagne. As soon as she sits down she demands I get up and do similarly.

"Oh... no thank you, I don't actually want any champa---"

"NO DARLING! Not for YOU! For ME! Go and get another glass for me! I need two but I can't go and get another right now or they'll think I'm an alcoholic!! You have to do it."

It's 9am and I don't have the energy to argue.

As we are eating our high-quality breakfast, we both relish in our favourite pastime; people-watching. There really aren't very many people at all, perhaps five tables occupied. This is too much for Mother as she would prefer the entire dining area to herself. Apart from the butlers, whom may stand delicately in the corner until summoned.

There is one fairly old couple a few tables away and I look lovingly towards the gentlemen who has hoisted his beige trousers up to his neck. So cute, I love old people. There should be more of them. Less children; more OAPs please. Anyway, his wife is sitting across from him.

"Oh look!" Proclaims Mother pointing at the wife, "she's holding her knife and fork properly. That's unusual for someone in a blouse like that."

Excellent. Nearly choked on my Alpen.

At this point, a young, tall African-American woman walks in with a toddler. I instantly look at Mother...

"what is that?!?" Mother whisper-shouts at me. "Children in the Executive Lounge?! Surely that's not allowed?! WHAT ON EARTH IS GOING ON THIS IS A CHAOTIC MESS OH GOD IT'S A FREE FOR ALL OH MY GOD!"

At this point, Mother is on her fourth glass of champagne. I had tried to offer her a cup of tea, or juice (like the rest of the planet might choose for breakfast. Why do they even have champagne on offer up here?! I should have asked them to take it away before Mother saw it. I blame myself.)

She's found some strawberries too, now. One by one she plops them into her champagne, each one contributing to her glorified smile of satisfaction on her face.

I look up from my food and am graced with Mother's absolutely terrifying face. I have seen this before, many times and yet it still manages to frighten me. I notice it is not aimed at me (good)... instead her line of vision lands upon the small toddler (bad). I turn to look at the small child and see she is transfixed by Mother's face with a cheese slice hanging from her mouth. Mother is literally glaring at this child and I am unsure how long this has been going on. Her nostrils are flared, teeth gritted, eyes wide, fists clenched. Oh my God, she is glaring at an infant again.

I lost it a tiny bit here; "OH MY GOD STOP! EVERY TIME I LOOK UP YOU'RE DOING SOMETHING INAPPROPRIATE!" Honestly, it's like looking after a child of my own most of the time (all of the time).

With this slight intervention, I took charge and dragged Mother away from the child... and the potential fifth glass of champagne.

xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment