Sunday 27 January 2013

Mother nearly knocks out a local



11:00am: trip to the Saturday market at Playa Flamenca. The aroma of slow roasting pollo flowed through the bustle of market-goers and men shouting fruit deals at us in Spanish made it all the more authentic. Unfortunately, it wasn’t twenty minutes until mother decided a breather was needed (just an excuse to people-watch I think). We stopped at one of those café-on-wheels and I sent mother off with specific instructions to get a bottle of water and a hot dog to share. Three minutes later she returns with two sangrias. That’s all. Two sangrias. “I’m sorry darling, I know you said water but we simply can’t be in Spain and not have sangria!” Jolly mother and parched me.

13:00pm: leaving the market and we spot oranges the size of planets. Mother hovers for a little while, inspecting, then nods to the man. Man begins to place oranges in a bag but is hastily interrupted by a firm ‘stop’ hand in the air; “NO! No, I shall pick them!” and the poor man hands her the bag and bashfully backs away. I’m not sure mother’s adjusted to the go-with-the-flow Spanish lifestyle yet.

14:00pm: found ourselves heading for the outdoor mall… again. Just for essentials though… we are certainly not the typical holidaying Brits; landing on foreign ground and instantly searching for shopping centres and burgers.
We parked in the (free, clean and spacious) underground car park. Somehow, whilst in mid-conversation with me, mother manages to open her car door at the exact moment a poor unaware twenty-something girl walks between our car and the car next to us. A yelp. Then a gasp from mother as she splutters out apologies and ohmygod-areyouokay’s in English. Lovely Spanish girl smiles and reassures mother she’s alright (in Spanish). I let mother absorb the shame while I collapsed in fits. The next thing mother said was quite bizarre; “Dear me, I thought that car felt soft! It was actually a person!”




Mother now knows to look before whipping the car door open. May have to sacrifice the comedy for the safety of Spanish girls.


Lots of love from the pink-sunset-balcony,

Charlotte-Elizabeth xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment