Monday 30 December 2013

Panic Room

Perhaps some of you are still unaware of the regular misfortune Mother and I have of locking ourselves out. Well, it appears we were due another exhilarating experience. This afternoon, whilst attending to our laundry in the laundry room, Mother asks me to close the doors to keep the cold air from breezing into our home. Not-so-smart me decided to pull these sliding doors completely closed, engaging the lock on the other side. We are now entirely locked in this laundry room. There is no way out. Immediately I roll over laughing... as does Mother (for the first ten seconds). Eventually we both realise this isn't a movie; Liam Neeson sadly isn't going to bust the door down and rescue us. Mother is now beginning to feel fear; "We're going to die in here! This is it! This is the end! How on earth  do you think we'll get out of here?! Nobody knows we're here!" (and so on and so forth).

The tool kit is out. Mother is now in full Tomb Raider mode. Annoyingly, she is switching from 'we will get out of here pass me the hammer!' to 'WE'RE GOING TO DIE IN HERE OMG HONEY SERIOUSLY!!!!'
I put forward a relevant and helpful comment; "Actually, don't you remember speaking to security? They said that burglars can get in no matter what, if they really want to. So we'll get there eventually. We just have to figure out how. How do you think they do it?"

"IF I KNEW HOW TO BREAK IN I'D BE A BLOODY BURGLAR WOULDN'T I?!"

So, minutes (hours???) pass and we're still trying to break into our own home.

EVENTUALLY we're free (Mother saved us) and laughter resumes (ignoring the slightly damaged door). Mother then spends the next few hours going through the scenario we scarcely missed;
"You know, Darling, I had it all planned. We have a children's sleeping bag in there (didn't question why), a yoga mat, wet-weather gear. We would have been just about warm enough to last through the night in there. Ohhh... and we had VIMTO! We would have had to force ourselves to drink that vile beverage to keep our blood sugar levels up. You see, you really do have to be prepared for such occasions, don't you, Darling?"

I'd like to add here, I managed to adopt the traditional British mantra; 'KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON' ... However Mother failed miserably.



No comments:

Post a Comment