Friday 14 June 2013

So I think we made friends at the pool?




Having previously assumed the residents of our community are all foreign, we saunter to the gates and I spot another being. Under a bush. It’s a dog (I’m not all that fussed over dogs, I’m more of a cat person) and I gently tap Mother – being quiet as not to rouse said animal. She struggles to locate the dog but eventually makes eye contact; “OH GOD! THERE’S A WOLF! THERE’S A WOLF BY THE POOL!”

At this moment, the apparent owners awaken from their sunset slumber and assure Mother it is in no way dangerous; “No, it’s okay – he’s good!”
Conversation ensues (naturally) and Mother asks what breed it is.
“He is our Belgique sheep”
“Pardon?”
“Uhh -- *turns to wife who is not quite ready for a chat* umm, no… Like German sheephuh  but its Belgique?”
“OHHH!! You mean a Belgian shepherd. Ahaa—are you sure? Hmm. I don’t think there’s such a dog.”
“Yes, it is a Belgian shepherd!”
“What’s his name? *annoying kissy-face in general direction of dog*”
“Tusha *reprimands dog in Swedish / German / Norwegian / Dutch*
Mother gains less of a distance between her and the dog; “Hello Tessa!” *more baby noises and weird air-petting / clapping*

Five minutes later and Mother has Mastermind-worthy knowledge of Belgium shepherds. I am struck with the certainty that ‘Tusha’ is an underdeveloped wolf.

No comments:

Post a Comment