Tuesday 9 April 2013

A Series of Unfortunate Events - Pt 2.



A 9:30am wakeup call from a vibrant Mother explaining her ambitious plans for the day. I had to remind her that the glass fitters were due to fit our doors that day, which would inevitably throw everything out of sync.

The simplest of tasks are in no way simple when taken on by Mother. Basic Ikea unit; not used for the intended purpose at all but instead purchased as an attempt to disguise the ‘ugly’ bidet. Measuring done weeks in advance, however Mother managed to overlook the width of the bidet. So after hours of jigsaw-puzzling our way through the parts we discover that the unit doesn’t actually fit over the bidet. We then embark on the slow process of chiselling away half the back legs. “It’s not designed right! Look, darling, the screws are facing the wrong bloody way! Ugh, Swedish idiots. I want my French furniture, I want everything like my armoire, darling.” Post-chiselling and the unit (very) snugly fits… So long as it hovers over the bidet. The legs now don’t even reach the floor. So we have a floating unit doing a poor job of disguising anything. Mother then decides it’s ridiculous and proceeds to chop off all the legs. Then she decides she doesn’t like it at all anymore – so it’s now in a different room altogether functioning, in fact, as the unit it was first supposed to be. Minus the legs. The ‘ugly’ bidet is still exposed (tragic).

The glass fitters arrived at this point to exchange the cracked glass (fault of another tradesman). “The rug!!! Oh goodness, sorry, do you mind … just … can I just …” and Mother whips the vintage rug from under the unsuspecting man’s (perfectly clean) sneakers. I am automatically enlisted as tea-maid now apparently, so I put the kettle on and listen to the embarrassingly enthusiastic conversations from the other room. As we set out to construct the supposedly simplest of stools we are avidly eavesdropping, waiting to hear something smash but everything sounds fine.

*Ten minutes later*

“We’re all done, madam. We’ve just got to pop back sometime next week to seal it because the guys who came to measure here didn’t tell us you had black silicone, we only carry white silicone on the truck…”
“Oh, I knew it! I just knew we couldn’t complete one task! Right, fine, alright. Well when are you coming back because I’m a very busy person you know – you can’t just drop by unannounced I’m busy not like everyone else here this isn’t a holiday I have a business to run!”

I should also probably mention here that, of course, the glass wasn’t fitted without a glitch - the security bolt no longer fits.

No comments:

Post a Comment